16 May 2005

KING ARTHUR

Saw this in the theater, and somehow failed to see what a stinker it is.

Saw it again on DVD, and the stench was unmistakable.

Even the thing I liked the most, the Saxon war chief and main antagonist, wasn't as good as I remembered him. Good, yes, distinctive, yes... but soaked in cheese.

Everything about the film, from the script to the staging of battle scenes to the score, is false and grandiose rather than dramatic and subtle. But it worked for me the first time, in the theater. I don't recall liking it, particularly, but I do recall looking forward to seeing it again.

Maybe there's a lesson here.

Maybe if you go into a film WANTING to like it, Hollywood grandiosity is like an overly salted and greasy dish... at first, it is filling and satisfying, and it only on reflection that its gross nastiness swells uncomfortably in your stomach.

If the movie made money, it is a good argument for making fast food.

No comments: